How can a garden club make a difference in our world?
The Indian Harbour Beach Garden Club has some great answers:
• Re-forest land impacted by hurricanes and fires. When a member passed away and her family donated her plant collection, members potted these plants and many of their own plants for a plant sale. Working with a non-profit, Penny Pines, they raised funds to re-forest 16 acres.
• Bring gardening to assisted living residents. Every two weeks, volunteers present a program at Zon Beachside Assisted Living. Programs range from planting seeds and herbs, arranging flowers, decorating pots, learning about plants in the gardens at Zon to a visit from a Beatrix Potter impersonator who shared her stories. These programs have become a favorite with the residents.
• Send children to nature camp each summer. With fundraising through the club’s annual bunco party, 8-10 Brevard children receive a scholarship to spend a week at Camp Wekiva, near Orlando, to learn about their environment.
• Bring live plants to Meals on Wheels clients. Every Valentine’s Day, Brevard County clients receive a decorated live plant on their dinner tray, with Happy Valentine wishes from IHB Garden Club.
• Support the Botanical Garden at Florida Institute of Technology. The garden club makes a financial contribution to this 15-acre garden, a treasure for the entire community. It’s open to the public free of charge.
• Promote landscape best practices. Every month, one noteworthy residential landscape is awarded “Yard of the Month.” Members review and select a winning local landscape, the city posts a sign in the yard, and homeowners receive a gift certificate donated by Rockledge Gardens.
Garden Club members meet at Gleason Park in Indian Harbour Beach at 10:00 a.m. on the third Wednesday of each month, September – May. Programs include guest speakers and buffet lunch—a great way to learn about Florida gardening and meet people who make a difference in our world!
Quote of the Month
Coming together is a beginning,
Staying together is progress,
Working together is success.