Following the program given by Carey Minteer, PhD, Assistant Professor UF / Indian River Research & Education Center speaking on the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council “FEPPC”; the SBGCA meeting was called to order by President, Joyce Barton at 11:10 am. Joyce thanked Carey for her very informative program and to the Melbourne Garden Club for hosting the meeting and luncheon to follow.
Board Members present include: Joyce Barton, President, Treas, Kathryn Merry, Sec. Judy Ying, VP Absent: Carol Robitschek,
Joyce introduced & thanked Kent Armstrong and the newly added Master Gardener information table. She also announced that a new email has been created for South Brevard Garden Club to be used for receiving and disseminating club information, it is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Judy Ying lead the group in the Pledge of the American Flag, recited an inspiration and encouraged club Presidents and Representatives to help cultivate interest in attending SBGCA.
The minutes were approved as received. Kathryn reminded members that new name tags are being made and to sign-in as they want their name to appear with their Garden Club name.
In the Treasurer’s absence, Joyce reported $2,144.19 in the SBGCA account.
Roll Call of the Garden Clubs:
Beach Gardeners of Melbourne Beach (1) Joyce Barton, President, reported the program on Oct 15th was Shari Blissett-Clark of Bat’s Belfrey Inc., the Nov 19th speaker will be Bruce Morgan on Composting and the Dec. 17th meeting will be their Annual Holiday Party.
Garden Club by the Sea (4) – Gloria Mandel, Rep., reported the program for their Oct 16th meeting was Carlos Cuevas of Brevard County Environmental Specialist on “Loving Our Lagoon” and the Nov. 20th meeting will be Andrea Bolitho on Recycling in Brevard. On Sat., Nov. 16 they will be participating in a huge Garage Sale held in the Sanctuary.
Indian Harbor Beach Garden Club (5) – Robin Chang, President, reported the program for Oct 16th speaker was Trent Smith, NASA Project Mgr, on ‘NASA Space Farming’ and the Nov. 18th program will be Eric and Nichole Perma, owners Go Native Landscaping. They will be hosting their annual Bunco Fundraiser on Wed., Jan 22nd and tickets are $15 incl lunch and will be available at the Dec. SBGCA meeting.
Island Garden Club (2) – Michele Wernow, SBGCA Rep, reported their Oct 9th program was Dave Grover, Sun Harbor Nursery and the Nov 13th program will be held at the Barrier Island Center with lunch to follow at the home of Julia Hill. Michele announced their annual collection of personal care items which is donated to the Women’s Center for the women being sheltered and welcomed SBGCA members to also participate. Please bring items to the SBGCA’s Dec. 02nd meeting.
Melbourne Garden Club (14) – Sandy Dix, President, reported the program for Nov 1st meeting was Clifton Best, President, Brevard Backyard Beekeepers spoke on “Bee-Friendly, Native Gardening Practices” and the Dec. 6th meeting will be our annual holiday luncheon. She extended a warm welcome from Melbourne Garden Club to join us for buffet lunch.
Port Malabar Garden Club (2) – Marci McLean, reported their Oct. 11th speaker was John DeMater, Exotic Fruits & Vegetables, the Nov. 8th program will be titled All Ages Matter and their Dec. 13th meeting will be their Christmas Luncheon at the Yellow Dog Café. She also announced on Mar. 10th they will be hosting a Plant & Yard Sale as their annual fundraiser. On Oct. 26th they had a field trip to tour Turkey Creek Sanctuary.
Sunshine Report – Ann Stott has cards to send; please give her names, addresses, garden club affiliation and the reason for the card.
Plant Sale Report – Marci McLean reported that plants were brought in by more members and the monies made were greater. She has plants remaining and will make available until end of luncheon.
Door Prize Drawing – On behalf of Charlotte Underwood, Angie Leeney conducted the door prize drawing.
Old Business: None
- At the Oct.
15th Board Meeting, the following items were discussed and
- Plant Table Revenues: Funds collected from the Plant Table donations will be reserved for a National Garden Club Program “Penny Pines” with designation to Penny Pines to stay in Florida.
- Scholarship/Donations: The Board recommends that SGBCA funds should stay in Brevard County to support Brevard County environmental initiatives, such as: Summer camp youth programs sponsored by the Marine Resource Council (MRC); Brevard Zoo; Barrier Island Center (BIC); and others as voted upon by the general membership. Also suggest is FFGC’s Coral Reef Program.
- Master Gardener Clinic: An idea brought up to help increase membership is host a Master Gardener table from 9 am to 9:45 to answer questions by members and guests. Kent Armstrong, who also does the MG Clinic at Melbourne Library, agreed to start this information table with great success. Other MGs in any garden club are welcome to join with him to share & answer questions.
- December Holiday Luncheon and Auction: Our next meeting will be held on Mon., Dec. 02nd and members are asked to bring a side dish, appetizer or dessert. SBGCA will provide a meat & cheese tray, drinks and paper goods.
- Next Board meeting will be held Tuesday, Nov 12 at the Melbourne Public Library at 2 pm. Presidents and Club reps are welcome to attend.
- Joyce announced that at the end of the year, there will be a prize for the club with most members attending throughout the year.
Meeting was adjourned at 11.50.
Kathryn Merry, SBGCA Sec